View of Swift Creek Drainage from Rock Lake Peak. You will be traversing the glacial valley both ways on Aug 15th.
NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION! REGISTER BY AUGUST 1ST TO GUARANTEE A HOODIE!
1.Pre-race meeting will be held at 7 p.m. at Star View Park (1 block East of Wells Fargo on Main St. in Afton) We will be there until 8:30 to hand out race packets/sweatshirts.
2. You will be treated to a burger, melon, and a huckleberry soda when you finish your race.
3. The 25k race starts at 8:30 a.m. at the Intermittent Spring parking lot and finishes at Cottonwood lake. Being point-to-point you will need to make arrangements to get back to pick up your vehicle or have a friend drop you off.
4. Cottonwood Lake (50k) Start is about a 35 minute drive from Afton. (Continue South to Smoot. Turn left just after 65 mph sign, there is a brown forest service sign indicating Cottonwood Lake. The road is a bit rough but passenger cars can get there easily if patient) We will hand out packets from 5-5:40 a.m. on race morning.
5. The 25k will start at 8:30 a.m. at the Intermittent Spring parking lot. Turn between the fire station and the Lazy-B Motel and continue east approximately 5 miles to the end of the road. 25k runners note #3.
6. Aid Stations: We will have normal aid food at each of the aid stations. There will not be Gel this year. Drop bags only at the turn around for 50k and finish area. All of the aid stations have to be packed in. NUUN will be the official drink on the course.
a. Aid #1- "Balls" (N42 degrees 39.85/ W 110 degrees 46.555- miles 4.5 & 27) b. Aid #2- "Corral Creek Lake" (N 42degrees 41.231/ W 110 dgreees 47.137 - miles 8 & 24) c. Aid #3- NEW! "Slide" (N42 degrees 43.406/ W 110 47.639-miles 11 & 21) d. Aid #4- Intermittent Spring - turn around- drop bags full aid- mile 16)
Once again the Star Valley Search and Rescue will be helping with our races. They will have radio and medical help if needed. We will have a strict 12:00 noon cut-off at the turn around for the 50k runners. If you have not left aid #4 by noon you will be pulled from the race and given a 25k finish time. This is necessary for the volunteers. Aid #2 will pull out at 2:00 and Aid #3 will pull out at 4 p.m.
Places to stay:
Several people have contacted me about places to stay the night before the race. Below are a list of hotels/motels in Afton. There is also camping at Cottonwood Lake (50k start) and Swift Creek (25k) campgrounds. Just contact the Greys River Ranger District- (307) 885-3166.
Others: Bar H Motel & Cabins-(307)885-2274 Corral Motel-(307)885-5424 Hi Country Inn-(307)885-3856 Lazy-B Motel-885-3187 (pets) Gardner's- (307)885-3200
Official Sign-up list for El Vaquero Loco 2009 50k Christy Call Ashley Remkes Mike James David Capson Bary Moore Brian Odonnell Ryan Mangrum Ryan Sylva Luke Nelson Leland Barker Doug Mangrum Hugh Tower-Pierce Bruce Copeland Mindy Knoles Todd Cedarholm Eric Taft Jay Batchen Don Demetriades Katherine Dawson Scott Griffeth Steve Kirkland Alex Bringhurst Dusty Pena Corena Ricks Kevin Ricks
25k Anamarie Fagg Alex Bringhurst Kim Taft Trisha Mayers Alicia Inskeep Steve Sabat Kristina Bringhurst Jim Wilisey Al Boyce
El Vaquero Loco 2011 - Thanks for making this year's race such a success. We will be looking on ways to make it possible for even more people to be involved next year-both runners and volunteers. We will be ready for registration a little earlier this year. Hopefully by January 1. Check back later for more information.
9th annual. Saturday, August 10th, 2013. Out and back course on nearly 100% singletrack. Beautiful vistas. Very tough and technical. It has been our experience that you run the 25k if you are not used to running technical trails at altitude.