Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Race Details 2009
View of Swift Creek Drainage from Rock Lake Peak. You will be traversing the glacial valley both ways on Aug 15th.
NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION! REGISTER BY AUGUST 1ST TO GUARANTEE A HOODIE!
1.Pre-race meeting will be held at 7 p.m. at Star View Park (1 block East of Wells Fargo on Main St. in Afton) We will be there until 8:30 to hand out race packets/sweatshirts.
2. You will be treated to a burger, melon, and a huckleberry soda when you finish your race.
3. The 25k race starts at 8:30 a.m. at the Intermittent Spring parking lot and finishes at Cottonwood lake. Being point-to-point you will need to make arrangements to get back to pick up your vehicle or have a friend drop you off.
4. Cottonwood Lake (50k) Start is about a 35 minute drive from Afton. (Continue South to Smoot. Turn left just after 65 mph sign, there is a brown forest service sign indicating Cottonwood Lake. The road is a bit rough but passenger cars can get there easily if patient) We will hand out packets from 5-5:40 a.m. on race morning.
5. The 25k will start at 8:30 a.m. at the Intermittent Spring parking lot. Turn between the fire station and the Lazy-B Motel and continue east approximately 5 miles to the end of the road. 25k runners note #3.
6. Aid Stations: We will have normal aid food at each of the aid stations. There will not be Gel this year. Drop bags only at the turn around for 50k and finish area. All of the aid stations have to be packed in. NUUN will be the official drink on the course.
a. Aid #1- "Balls" (N42 degrees 39.85/ W 110 degrees 46.555- miles 4.5 & 27)
b. Aid #2- "Corral Creek Lake" (N 42degrees 41.231/ W 110 dgreees 47.137 - miles 8 & 24)
c. Aid #3- NEW! "Slide" (N42 degrees 43.406/ W 110 47.639-miles 11 & 21)
d. Aid #4- Intermittent Spring - turn around- drop bags full aid- mile 16)
Once again the Star Valley Search and Rescue will be helping with our races. They will have radio and medical help if needed. We will have a strict 12:00 noon cut-off at the turn around for the 50k runners. If you have not left aid #4 by noon you will be pulled from the race and given a 25k finish time. This is necessary for the volunteers. Aid #2 will pull out at 2:00 and Aid #3 will pull out at 4 p.m.
Places to stay:
Several people have contacted me about places to stay the night before the race. Below are a list of hotels/motels in Afton. There is also camping at Cottonwood Lake (50k start) and Swift Creek (25k) campgrounds. Just contact the Greys River Ranger District- (307) 885-3166.
Bar H Motel & Cabins-(307)885-2274
Hi Country Inn-(307)885-3856
Lazy-B Motel-885-3187 (pets)
Official Sign-up list for El Vaquero Loco 2009