Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Simplot Games



This last weekend I took a select number of my track athletes to the Simplot Games in Pocatello, one of the premier indoor high school track meets in the U.S. We were able to compete against and watch some spectacular athletes. We had a few make finals and two top ten finishes. Several other athletes also came very close to qualifying for the races on Saturday.

Friday morning I met with Luke (Vaquero 50k record holder) for a morning run. We hammered out about a 10 mile loop--way too fast. Both of us were wondering why the other was running so fast. I guess neither of us have had much company while training this year.

Saturday morning I ran the coach's mile at the meet. I had a goal of running sub 4:40 but I couldn't quite pull it out. It was a blast to break out the track spikes and try to show the kids how it's done. My goal was to run perfectly even splits on the 200 meter wooden track. I came pretty close (36, 35,36,36,35,35,36,34) for a 4:43.07 which is faster than I have run a mile in 15 years. If I can still run that pace in another 15 years I may actually be competitive:)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice WORK - old guy! I ran that track back in 87 and wasn't much faster than what you just did! Did you taste the blood in your lungs?

TD said...

Gracias Jefe,

Yes, I felt it. We lovingly call it the "Holt Arena Hack." Good luck at WTC.

saschasdad said...

Hey pastey-white old guy,
Nice! It's kinda fun to run fast on a track every once in a while. The next time we duel at Chuckanut (whenever that may be), I may just have a bit more respect for you in the last 6 miles.

TD said...

a guy needs to blend in with his surroundings. I'm camouflaged in the snow so the cougars and wolves can't find me...