Saturday, November 22, 2008

Off Season "Quehaceres"


As recent posts have indicated, off season is in full affect around here. I have been spending time taking care of some of the things that I have been neglecting. For example. I have been trying to finish remodeling our bathroom that I started at this time last year. Now I just need to finish trimming it out and I'll be set. I also went ahead and had a hernia stitched up. I popped it out last February shortly before my trip to run in Seattle with Hart to get ready for the 3 Days of Syllamo. After a full summer of racing it was starting to grow so with a local surgeon, Dr. Bender, I decided to get it patched up, yes, literally, this week so that it didn't cause me problems during race season this summer. On a more fun note Andrea and I were able to attend a luncheon honoring some of the hall of fame entrants at BYU-Idaho (formerly Ricks College) where I ran 1992-1993 and 1996 under Coach Doug Stutz who finally received some of the recognition he deserves for the amazing program he built in Rexburg. Here is a press release:

November 7, 2008
Five inducted into Ricks College Athletic Hall of Fame


A former coach and four former athletes have been inducted into the Ricks College Athletic Hall of Fame at Brigham Young University-Idaho. They include former head cross country coach Doug Stutz of Rexburg; track and cross country standout Alicia Boyer Nelson of Tremonton, Utah; track and field star Geraldine George Francis of Trinidad; softball great Maryon DeWitt-Wallentine of Bellevue, Idaho; and wrestling standout Brett Bingham of Meridian, Idaho. The Alumni Association awards were presented Friday, November 7, 2008, at a luncheon hosted by BYU-Idaho President Kim B.Clark.
Doug Stutz arrived at Ricks College in 1987 as an assistant coach in cross country and track and field. In 1992, he was named head coach of the men's and women's cross country program. The men's team showed immediate impact, placing in the top eight at the NJCAA finals on eight occasions, topped by national championships in 1999, 2000, and 2001. He coached seventeen young men to All-American status. The performance of the women's team under Coach Stutz's guidance was remarkable. In 1992 the team took third at the NJCAA championship meet. The lady Vikings improved to second in 1993 and 1994. Their progress continued, reaching the top spot at the national meet in 1995, then repeating as NJCAA champions in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001. During that string, Doug coached four individual champions. The NJCAA acknowledged Doug's success by naming him national Coach of the Year seven times. Seven times his teams won the award for best combined men's and women's team performances at the NJCAA cross country finals. As an assistant track & field coach he guided seven individuals, a relay team and a women's team to victories at NJCAA outdoor track & field championship meets. He is the author of the book, Race Your Best: A Plethora of p's for Phenomenal Performance. Doug and his wife Keysha live in Rexburg with their seven children; Mary Ann, Michael, Julie, Jonathan, Stephen, Spencer, and Ryan.

Coach Stutz took a chance on a 125 lb. weakling, a 4:32, 9:52 1600/3200m runner and gave me the opportunity to extend my running career a few years. His influence will carry on through my own coaching and running as I try to help myself and other runners become the best possible people and athletes they can be. Thanks Coach.

1 comment:

Eric Taft said...

I hope the healing process goes quick and easy. Plenty of adventures on the near horizon, cold and white.