Thursday, March 21, 2013

Winter Adventurethons

I have made the comment more than once that the winters in Wyoming are bearable. Its just the fact that spring never seems to get here. Now is the time of year when we are in the winter doldrums. Leave the valley in any direction and you can see (and better yet run) dirt, grass, and trees. The snow has gone to pot, microspikes or showshoes are out because its too sloppy and the only option is to run the roads. In anticipation for the long snow season I vowed to take up some winter sports. I did get out and ski a couple of times and already I cannot keep up with my 9 year old son. scratch. I went on an epic nordic ski/ice fishing trip in the Tetons with my brother in law and his buddy. The tired legs and sleep deprivation felt like old friends. I just kept thinking, "Why do we keep interrupting this awesome trip to drill holes in the ice and fish?" I did spend hours on my fatbike and actually raced the Pugsly this winter at the Togwotee Winter Classic. I had a blast and I'm already scheming on how to get my hands on a carbon fiber race bike for next season. As the first trail race of the season looms on the horizon I'm excitedly looking ahead to many more adventures, albeit the more dirty, dusty, warmer kind. Plans this summer include the following: Gorge Waterfalls 50k Pocatello 50 Teton super traverse Peak Bagging FTK attempt with Luke Nelson High Sierra Route Bear 100 Having so much winter here and spending more time adventurthoning in the cold has piqued my interest in winter adventure races both on foot and bike. We'll see what happens, heaven knows next winter is almost here. If this one ever leaves....

No comments: