Sunday, December 14, 2008

Mountain Athlete Seminar



The dreaded "slosh pipe." Photo by Rob Shaul


As an athlete and a coach I am always looking for new ways to tweak and enhance training. Not being a real winter sports athlete and living where winters are really cold and long inspired me to go to Mountain Athlete in Jackson to check out their training methods in the weight room. What really caught my interest was Rob's commitment to sport specificity and love for creating torturous circuits for people who like to suffer. I spent two days learning different lifts and how they program for their athletes at the gym. And of course I was able to experience beautiful and terrifying things like Turkish get-ups, barbell complex, dumbell crawls, and even did a round with Mr. Spectacular. I even survived to tell about it-as long as I don't have to comb my hair or brush my teeth, or anything else requiring me to lift my hands above my shoulders...

3 comments:

Brad Mitchell said...

Ty - If you like the gym and are open mined toward resistance training you have to check out "crossfit" (www.crossfit.com) The work outs are pretty cool and brutal. If anything they open the mind to different ideas about resistance training.

TD said...

I don't really like the gym but I have been looking for ways to get stronger during the offseason this winter. I'll give it a gander. Thanks for the tip

Matt Hart said...

love the chops in that photo .. you said "slosh pipe". i had a buddy we called that in college.