Here are a few items you need to look over before the race this weekend:
* Due to accessibility issues, there will be no drop bags this year.
* Bus Times: The bus will pick up at 5 a.m. at Star Valley High School (445 W Swift Creek Ln, on the West side of the school) It will stop at the campground between 5:10 and 5:15 for the 50k runners. It will pick up again at 7:30 at the high school and shortly there after at the campground. If you have friends/family that want to watch you finish please park as far away as possible from the start/finish area so we can have room for the runners. Preferably, park down by the 2nd res. and walk the 1.5 miles to the start/finish area.
* Packet pick up will be from 7 to 8:30 at Star View Park 1 block East of Wells Fargo on Hwy. 89. A meeting will be held at 7:30 to answer your questions.
* At the start you will run up the "lower" trail for just over 1/4 mile before climbing up to the upper trail and will continue on the upper trail when you return.
* Aid Mileages: 50k: 5.5, 8, 15, 23, 25.5 (25k- 5.5, 8, 10.5)- Aid stations will include treated water, snickers, M & M's, pretzels, peanuts, and a variety of Honey Stinger products. NUUN tablets will be available to drop in your water for electrolyte replacement. NOTE: There will not be an aid station this year below "balls" if you are out of water there is a spring just West of the trail you can fill up if you need to. This means that there will be a 7 mile stretch--50k runners must carry 2 bottles or a pack for fluids. 25k runners will need at least 1 bottles. Please remember that everything this year has to be hauled in by horseback so please use only what you need and thank our volunteers!
*At the turn around of your race please pick up a round sticker and put it on your bib number. This will help us keep track of the runners and where they are coming from.
* Trail markings will be blue and pink. If you come to a red marker red means "stop" and you need to go back and find the blue and pink markings.
*Swag will be provided this year by Patagonia, Black Diamond, UltrAspire, and Smith Optics. We will do the drawing ahead of time so some of you will have some extra goodies in your bag!
* 50k runners, again due to difficulties in accessing the course this year, please be mindful of your current fitness level. If you decide that you are not having the day you had hoped, please consider turning around at the Lakes and taking a 25k finish. We will only have a small crew of search and rescue and the closest place to a vehicle is 6 miles....even from the turn around! We can extract runners due to injury if needed but Loss of Will is not an injury!
*We hope you are excited to participate in this years race. We will open the campground at the mouth of Swift Creek Canyon Friday. Please do not call the Forest Service to reserve a spot. They are specially opening the campground just for runners and those associated with the race. We will have someone there to let you in. See you Friday!
El Vaquero Loco 2014 - Thanks for making this year's race such a success.
11th annual. Saturday, August 8th, 2015. Out and back course on nearly 100% singletrack. Beautiful vistas. Very tough and technical. It has been our experience that you run the 25k if you are not used to running technical trails at altitude.